Success

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exltation; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded." _Ralph Waldo Emerson_

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Keep Tahoe Blue...and keep me real.

I had the privilege of spending last weekend at Lake Tahoe, Zephyr Cove to be exact. I was on my first women's retreat with our Church, and let me tell you, I was most certainly blessed. The picture below shows a few of my cabin mates, yes all (or almost all) could have been my mother. There was great relief in that actually and safety to see and hear from so many beautiful women who have and are still struggling with life, whatever it may be. You see, there can either be comfort in that or discouragement. I had the opportunity to talk a bit with Sherri Elliston, as she was our visiting worship leader (who did a splendid job). Her and I being the youngest of the bunch, we both agreed that there was a part of us that thought,...well, once I get into college, or once I graduate and start working, or once I get married...etc.... then I'll get it together, and I'll be stronger, my trials not so great within me. And as we all are finding, it's not so. That brings me back to what I mentioned, it's either encouraging to know that our elder moms are still struggling, burdened, fighting, or (hopefully not) a discouragement that there is a lifetime of challenge ahead...IT DON'T GET EASIER...IT JUST CHANGES.
For me, I am encouraged. I am encouraged to know that I don't have to figure it all out today, and 'get my act together or else.' I was blessed by the reminding of the following simple statements of our beliefs. Try saying these out loud, it is one thing to know/believe these statements in your head, it's quite another to believe them in your heart.
Go on try it out loud...yes, it seems quite silly saying it to a computer...but you won't be able to deny the power in it once it is said.
**God is my perfect father (col 1:15-17; 2cor6:18; is9:6; john 10:22-30; heb 1:1-3)
**G0d really does love me (eph 1:3-14; eph 2:4-7; 1john 3:1)
**God knows everything about me and accepts me as I am. (ps 139:13-16; ro 5:8; ro 4:4-8; col 2:13-14)
**My actions do not affect God's love and acceptance of me. (col 1:21-23; ro 8:1-3; ro 3 :21-24)

Even though we say these are our beliefs as Christians, we don't always practice or preach this - do we?....it's always in relation to how well we or our neighbor can get their act together first. Shame on us. He wants so desperately for us to simply respond to his love for us...not fall into a religious show of excellence. (Please see the end of my blog from Oct. 9th, it seemed to follow this). Especially considering what I shared from the beginning of this blog, from the honesty of the women this weekend....it doesn't matter how old you are, struggles and challenges will be before you. So why can't we stop lying to one another, attempting to put on some sort of performance of religious excellance...nonsense...just stop it...NO ONE HAS IT ALL TOGETHER.
As a side note here, but it came to mind - even when we ask for each others advise about things as I witnessed this week at a moms group thing, we do it with one hand out ready to push back. For instance, 'how do you yadda, yadda, yadda...or get through yadda yadda.' only to respond to others answers with, 'well, yes i do that already, and oh and i already know that, and well, we do this.' It's as if we are trying to admit that we don't have it all together, but are never ready to listen and absorb an answer...maybe that's just too vulnerable. There could be such strength in vulnerability, as Jesus says, 'Gods power is made perfect in our weakness.' Paul, the apostle, said because of this he will boast about his weaknesses (last I checked....I was not boasting about any such thing), and this leaves us with the greatest oxymoron, 'For when I am weak, then I am strong.' Chew on that a minute, or maybe a lifetime.
Talk about things to chew on, I had the privilege of hearing Kelli Willson speak at the retreat this weekend, and as evidenced by just a few of my written thoughts above, she certainly gave the women LOTS to chew on.

You can't really tell from this picture, but Lake Tahoe is right below that big picture window!!!

Kelli about to start speaking. The cabin that 5 of us stayed in was incredible, again you can't tell from the pic, but below that window is the lake.
My morning view.
Okay, and if you can forgive the blurrines, this was sooooo cute. Isaiah has a new found love of oatmeal, and he has insisted on getting the last drop out of his bowel anyway he could.

No comments: