Success

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exltation; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded." _Ralph Waldo Emerson_

Monday, October 27, 2008

Redeeming Love

The love of God is as tender as a Daddy's to his children, and yet as passionate as that of a lover. Thank you again Francine Rivers for giving me a book that refreshed my soul. I couldn't put it down. Redeeming Love is fantastic, the retelling of the book of Hosea from the Old Testament...bear with me...set in the gold rush era of Calif. A man that falls in love with a prostitute, and the pain and love and immense beauty of the story. For those of you unfamiliar with the biblical story, think Pretty Women and how gorgeous is the love that would step into the dirtiness, ugliness, shameful and guilty life and bring you out whole, beautiful, guilt free and forgiven. Anyway, it's amazing to think that is a story written by God to show how dedicated he is to bringing his people back to him, no matter what their condition.
I think I cried through the whole last chapter.
"She felt his hand on her head. 'My love,' he said. He took hold of her and drew her up again. She couldn't look into his face, wanting to hide her own. Michael took off his shirt and put it around her shoulders. When he tipped her chin up, she had no choice but to look into his eyes again. They were wet like her but filled with light. 'I hoped you would come home someday,' he said and smiled."

1 comment:

The Runner Bunch said...

Sounds like a good book - I might have to borrow that. If it is anything like her other ones I know I will love it.