Success

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exltation; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded." _Ralph Waldo Emerson_

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Isaiah's FIRST 'ER' Trip

When I got the call at work at 2300 from Rob, I didn't think anything of it at first, until from the background I heard Isaiah. Rob - remaining as calm as possible - said that Isaiah sounds like he's having trouble breathing...and I from the other end of the line...in the pediatric intensive care...agreed, and then panicked a bit like a mom and not like a nurse. First thing I told him was get him into the ER...now. Then I had a TON of questions, being very frustrated that I couldn't be there to assess him myself. Our Attending (the big wig Doc) was standing right there, so I handed him the phone...and said what does he sound like to you? He listened to Isaiah over the phone and then asked Rob and few questions...Yep it sounded like croup all right.
Rob packed up Isaiah, and oh so bravely, took Isaiah down to the local ER. Isaiah wasn't so fond of the treatments and all the stuff they wanted to do to him. But in the end... they sent him and daddy home.

I am frustrated because they gave him a totally unnecessary treatment/drug, and that I wasn't there to be with my baby when he was in so much discomfort. It was utterly unbearable hearing my baby crying like that through the phone. I'm used to dealing with babies that can't breath...but to hear your own baby struggling to breath...well that something different entirely. Then my co-workers got a little laugh at my expense comparing the patient I had's problems with my sons. Yah, I guess a little croup is a bit easier to deal with than many others things.

I know it's not Working Woman Wednesday, but rather it's Saturday....however...What is croup you ask? It's a somewhat common childhood illness (only occurring in children due to their smaller trachea) in which a virus attacks the larynx and/or vocal cords causing swelling. This swelling can be life threatening (as heard in the coughing/stridor that Isaiah was doing). One of the ways to help with the symptoms is to take your baby out into the cold moist air at night, it tends to relieve the swelling, if this doesn't help...then medications are necessary.

Well...A BIG HIGH FIVE TO MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND...for handling that mini-emergency so well. Love you honey, sorry I couldn't be there (there was no one to cover my patient for me that was on the heart/lung bypass machine....)

No comments: