Success

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exltation; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded." _Ralph Waldo Emerson_

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SPRING IS HERE!

SPRING IS HERE!
MY FAVORITE POST YET!
So, I wanted to post this Friday night, on the official first day of spring, however, my dear husband suggested a date night....ahhhh, that took precedence. But I had been preparing pics in excited anticipation of this day. This includes a small documentary about the amazingly different species in our yard. I just love to study the different plants and buds and the way they all have their own special way of saying a bright and cheery hello in the spring.

The first day of spring was BEAUTIFUL. It doesn't get much better for me than this....and the post will follow. Those that know me, know that I am in my element when I'm in the garden, outside, just soaking in all those amazing things that grow and change out in nature. We have a few spring/summer traditions. Thursday (a day early), we busted out the grill for the first time this season and made burgers with Greek salad, oh it just makes my mouth water thinking about it even at ten in the mornings. Pasta and potatoes salads will soon follow. I also got out my Toddy carafe. It is a cold water coffee brewer. It makes about 9 cups of concentrated coffee that I use to make iced coffee drinks for about a week, then I brew up another batch. They are soooooooo good. It takes a lot of the acidity out of the coffee, so it's very smooth.

Well, the first day of spring was calling for a Toddy! & my Sanuk's (my favorite brand flip-flops....shout out Emily!).


Skaggs Trees
Liquid Maple - a bit slower than the rest...it's still to this day taking it's time, while all the other trees already have their leaves. SO COOL.


Japanese Maple - This variety has a green branch, I just love how lovely it is in the winter
Our New variety Japanese Maple - Has green/Brown branches but gets lovely green leaves bursting out of an almost red berry looking thing...but they aren't berries...hmmm
Lemon tree blossom- I wasn't so kind to the lemon tree last year, but it's a fighter, and is growing back all it's leaves. YEAH!


Flowering Pear - despite the rancid smell that most trees apparently get, I have yet to turn up my nose to these (these are the trees that got cut, that Isaiah still so vividly remembers). Aren't those flowers just so cool, they look like miniature fireworks!Don't be fooled - I am keenly aware of all our Poison Oak patches (I wish the dog took as much caution as us), sure looks beautiful though....I just love the analogies that I'll get to use with this one to teach the kids about good/evil. And of coarse, the Oak tress, but they aren't blooming yet, so I got a lovely shot of the pesky blackberry using our Oak as a climbing trellis. The fabulously green path around to the back of the house, I just love the wild grass of spring. Just a quick shot of the wild side of the yard. The creek is to the right...it needs a good slash and burn, but I think that would make the neighbors nervous...brainstorming other ways to remove yards and yards of blackberries and poison oak and scrub brush...A GOAT! Still working on it. AHHHHHHH My Favorite Part! The Skaggs Flowers!
Our Vinca Grove. Couldn't pass up this shot with mannerly little lady bug showing me her rear end.
My Rose transplants took great, they are coming along, and God has answered my prayers and lead our deer to other feeding ground besides the roses! YEAH!
Valley Lily??? This is the only one that stumps me. I just planted these bulbs all along the south side of our lawn, and I can't remember what they're called. If anyone knows, will you let me know?
My Tulips last week, just poking their precious little heads up. They took a year off, and I almost forgot that I had them.
And then!!! They bloomed, aren't they lovely. They're like an old friend coming back for a visit, they are so cheery and bubbly they way they bob their oversized heads around in the wind. AHHHH, this might not look like much yet, but I've been working on these for a couple years. These are lilacs, and I think that I have found a good home for them , so I have high hopes for them to bloom maybe this year, but most definitely next. They take some time. I bought them at Costco, like 4 years ago. But I am certain that they are finally happy!
Having too much fun with my camera. I'm no professional by an stretch, but I was having fun this day. Wish I could have gotten the glare out, I think that' s what I was trying to do with my hand shade.
A Camellia Bud - We inherited this plant. I just love these! So hardy, and they are just beautiful all year with bright green leaves and long lasting late winter to summer blooms. They were a popular plant back in the forties. Isn't the design in that bud just magnificent! The pattern just looks so cool, and then check it out below, after it blooms!
A Camellia flower full bloomed! I love to cut these and float them in a bowel on the table, they last forever that way. It's so perfect, it looks like it came out of a kaleidoscope.
Don't overlook the pansy. Not only are they just beautiful, they do really well with some water and not too much sun. AND THEY'RE EDIBLE....although I'm holding off telling Isaiah cause I'm afraid I wouldn't have any left. I have them on the bridge that leads up to the front door and they are just so cute they way the bounce around when you walk past them. I think they look like they're giggling. Trusty Hydrangea. I have been working to keep the soil acidic in these pots to get me some really blue flowers this year. I can't wait to see if it pays off.
Okay, this is just silly fun, and if you are still reading this right now, I am shocked, but anyway. The following pic is of the bushes that divide our house with the neighbors. I just hate them cause they have thorns and they get these ugly red berries around Christmas time. They just clash something terrible with my vinca grove. I have been trying to connive all kinds of ways of getting rid of these berries....but God did it for me. I think sometimes he has a sense of humor with me. This one day, I noticed a few new birds in the yard, particularly on this bush. The following day, the entire oak tree over the bush was filled with birds of the same type. They were coming down out of the tree by the dozens and eating the red berries. This first picture is what the bush looked like after a day. The next pic is after only 3 days. Berries GONE!!!
And the culprits. I'm telling you, it was really amazing. In 3 days, those birds had the bushes stripped clean of berries, and now they're just green thorny bushes left. SO FUNNY.
And finally what day out in the yard would be complete without a little irrigation tubing fun! Isaiah has found all kinds of new FUN WITH TUBING ideas! The best part for me now, is taking Isaiah outside and taking our time as we go around to all the plants, "caring" for them, learning about them and just enjoying how beautiful and different each one is (the life lesson analogies are endless, I'd like to start keeping a journal of them. Spring inspired my quote at the top right of the page, but obviously it pertains to soooo much more). We have started taking walks around the neighborhood together, on foot just holding hands, and we spot all the daffodils and say hi to them. Isaiah usually initiates the walks. He goes to the end of the driveway while we are outside, and sticks his hand out, and calls, "Mommy! Hand!" then, "Walk, mommy." I just LOVE IT! We'll take 30-45 minute walks easily. Learning about all kinds of things along the way. Man, I just love being a mommy!




No comments: