Success

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exltation; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded." _Ralph Waldo Emerson_

Thursday, March 19, 2009

All my best thinkin' happens in the shower.

Before I had kids, I never new how much I would appreciate a day like today...one in which I could shave, pluck and trim all in the same day! WOOOHOO! Instead of Wordless wednesdays we should have Hairless Thursdays, just kidding. I may even attempt to paint my toes in celebration of spring.

Also, I was singing in the shower (you know, while I was actually shaving), this old song called, "and they'll know we are Christians by our love." I got to thinking about all the people who complain and moan about what state our country is in with reguards to our morality. Yes, I do recognize that there are some things that have gone the way side, but maybe the problem isn't as my dad sees it, that we aren't speaking out enough and fighting for what's right. Maybe the problem is that we aren't loving enough, we can hardly keep our marriages together and love the people in our own homes let alone go out and love those outside the four walls of our house. The problem isn't about our moral decline, it's about our lack of love for our fellow man. When are we going to stop making Christianity equate to morality. Haven't we learned yet, man can never make the mark on his own, we can never be "moral enough." Jesus himself told us this over and over, that we will never be able to be perfect moral people, then Paul reiterated it later in his letters. God doesn't expect us to be moral people, people expect people to be perfectly moral. That's why God sent Jesus to cover for our misfailings. How will people know about God's love for them unless we are LOVING them. You are not going to convince anyone of how amazing God is by living some perfect little moral life, cause let me tell you, the more moral you think you are the more prideful you become...that's not a road you want to travel down either.
If I could spread a new message about Christianity it would be this: God is not interested in your morality and your proper rules, He is interested in your love.

Rom 4:15 "But the fact of the matter is this: when we try to gain God's blessing and salvation by keeping his laws we always end up under his anger, for we always fail to keep them."
But this is the exciting part:
Rom 3:21 "Now God has shown us a different way to heaven (meaning, after Jesus came), not by 'being good enough' and trying to keep his laws, but by a new way. Now God says He will accept and acquit us - declare us 'not guilty' - if we trust Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we can all be saved in this way, by coming to Christ, no matter who we are or what we have been like."

I love that last part, 'no matter who we are or what we have been like.'

Okay, nap time is almost over I better get painting. Then I'm going to try and do some lovin'.

No comments: