Success

"To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one's self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exltation; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived...this is to have succeeded." _Ralph Waldo Emerson_

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

7 down...2 to go

7 of 9 adoption classes now completed!!! Only 2 left, and let me tell you, we are getting soooo excited. Once the classes are completed then we will be able to start our homestudy process. With that complete and a quite a few more papers to fill out, we will be able to be put on the list. We have been 'assigned' a social worker...I have to admit it feels a bit odd to say, 'we have a social worker...' It usually seems like only a select few of society 'gets' a social worker. She is pretty cool, she has been co-teaching the classes, so it's been nice to get to know her slowly before she comes bounding into our lives wanting to know all the griddy details. Once we go through the homestudy I will be able to tell you a bit more about what it looks like. But for now my impressions of it essentially means interviews with each Rob and I and a look around the house to make sure it's 'safe.' They can interview the children in the house too, in which case, Isaiah would probably try to give her a nice 'high-five' and maybe share his milk along with showing her just how much he LOVES having his diaper changed.

In the last class they did an exercise with us to give us an idea of what to expect in the 'choosing' phase. They had a stack of pictures of real kids that have since found homes. On the back was their bios....their history and what they've been through. We were asked to determine if this was a child we would consider taking...just to get us thinking about what we would see. Each time she held up a photo...without hesitation, and without hearing the bio....I called out "I'll TAKE HIM (HER)...THEM (siblings)." Everyone was kinda giving me the 'she's crazy' look, and the teacher said I was funny (thinking I was joking I suppose). What they don't realize (my husband does, however), is that I really wasn't kidding. I really don't care...if there is a child that needs a home....ours will be it.

Last Friday my patient's mom told me she was ready to turn off life support and talk about organ donation. I spent the remainder of the night getting my patient ready to donate his organs (it's a 12-24 hour process, before you can officially let them die and donate). The little boy was 6 months old, and beautiful...and had been shaken to death. He had been the second child to donate his organs last week due to child abuse.
NEED I SAY MORE....I will take any of them.

I am just VERY excited to be able to step in and save one of these precious ones from a life of trauma

...now if only through this blog I can begin to encourage others to do the same.

And as a side note....I really think that God can be pretty humorous in the ways that he uses to get our attention. There are times that I have felt God stirring me to do something...the other day was an example. I really felt like I needed to give a friend of mine a phone call. On that particular day, I completely forgot and got caught up in my day. My friend has a very beautiful and unique name that I have ever only known to belong to her. On my way home that night, I caught a glimpse of the licence plate in front of me....and what do you think was on it...her name! And it wasn't her car, but we followed it almost all the way to our front door. I got the hint God...the only thing more obvious would have been a neon sign giving me specific instructions....He'll do anything to get our attention, that's for sure. Amazing things have been happening in my life recently in which God has specifically gotten my attention. Keep your eyes peeled for updates.
My friend seemed to agree with me...there are no coincidences in life. Life is a beautifully woven story.

1 comment:

The Runner Bunch said...

Man they have put you through a lot more classes than we had to do? How long are the classesWe basically had to do training for 3 full days - Saturday, Sunday and Monday. And I remember all those scenarios of different kids. Good for you and your willingness to serve no matter the circumstances!